Unitarian Universalist Young Adults for Climate Justice
News & Updates
100 Services Campaign
This is a consensus decision-making proposal intended only for young adults age 18-36 years old who are interested-in or already engaging in the UU Young Adults for Climate Justice network. If you do not meet that description, this form is not for you. You might want choose another tab to explore. Thank you!
Proposal: to partner with Resist450 Coalition, and promote widely through Commit2Respond & UUYACJ online social media
There is going to be a celebration of the 450th anniversary of the landing of Juan Ponce De Leon and Pedro Menendez, and establishment of St. Augustine, Florida as the "first settlement" (by colonizers, obviously).
[Quoted from the Resist450 Coalition
& abbreviated and bolded for clarity and emphasis] "The Council of the Original Miccosukee Simanolee Nation Aboriginal Peoples, together with the American Indian Movement of Florida and Ancient Trees, began seeking support from other organizations and individuals in 2012 to resist the [...]
St. Augustine 450
celebrations. This call to people and organizations of conscience resulted in establishing the Resist450 Coalition.
Resist 450 is seeking partner organizations to stand with them in St. Augustine and provide support; and asking for solidarity actions across the continent on September 8th. "
"Resist450 Coalition has come together to promote a healthy relationship with each other and the natural world based on truth, respect and peace. We object and oppose the 450
Commemoration events which shamefully embrace and honor Spanish war criminals Pedro Menendez and Juan Ponce de Leon. With these events the City of St. Augustine is knowingly upholding the racist principles embodied in the Doctrine of Discovery.
Using this principle of so-called “discovery”, Pedro Menendez de Aviles and Juan Ponce de Leon committed acts of terror and theft against Aboriginal Indigenous Peoples.
We ask that you do not celebrate, commemorate or honor these acts of genocide and crimes against humanity
Join us in St. Augustine, Florida for our
, September 5-9th, 2015. Click
for more information.
- The mission, goals and approach of the Resist450 organization can be viewed
Benjamin Franklin Craft-Rendon, Aly Tharp, Jason Faulk and perhaps also Elizabeth Mount are interested in carpooling through TX and Louisiana to attend the action camp.
- The UUA repudiated the Doctrine of Discovery in 2012 in a democratic vote [
- There has not yet been any official statement of support for the Resist450 Coalition from a UU big-organization or congregation, that I (Aly) know of.
- What action is happening regarding UUA efforts to repudiate the Doctrine of Discovery [quoting from Bob Murphy, GreenSanctuary Digest, Vol 149, Issue 5]: "The Ballou Channing District in Massachusetts has submitted a proposed Business Resolution that calls upon Unitarian Universalists to enter into a time of "truth and reconciliation," because of the European settlement of Massachusetts. If all goes well, this Business Resolution will be presented at the 2016 General Assembly, in Columbus, Ohio."
- To apply to be a partner in the Resist450 Coalition is a very simple process [view
, if interested].
That the UU Young Adults for Climate Justice:
1. Apply to be a partner organization in the Resist450 Coalition, ASAP
2. Create a "Call to Action" to Unitarian Universalist congregations and small Earth/Justice ministry organizations therein, to:
i. Hold education and discussion events about the Doctrine of Discovery at their congregations on or around the evening of September 8th, in solidarity. Depending on timing, the cadre attending could be available to Skype- or Zoom-in for a Q&A...
ii. Donate to the UUYACJ to support sending members to the Resist450 action camp in Florida, Sept. 5-9th, 2015
This Call to Action would be published on the "News and Updates" tab of uuyacj.org and shared on our Twitter (@UUAYCJ) and Facebook page. Aly would send the Call to Action to the Commit2Respond leadership Google Group, and also request Alex Kapitan to post it on the Commit2Respond website and send it out to the appropriate larger Commit2Respond mailing lists.
3. That we create a Faithify fundraiser page to support the travel expenses of the attending UUYACJ. If there are any unused donations (unlikely), we will discuss what to do with them at the first subsequent meeting. We'll set a goal of $300.
- Copy-editing (helping quickly draft a compelling Call to Action) and networking support (with congregations / UU organizations / small group ministry leaders), from everyone with the time to engage (message Aly, email@example.com)
- Re-sharing posts made from UUYACJ website / online social media during the Resist450 demonstrations
- Sharing the Faithify fundraiser and making personal asks of ppl in your community to support us
Do you have any clarifying questions?
Comments or concerns? If concerns, are they "blocking concerns" (i.e. not willing to support proposal unless addressed)?
As it stands, I _________________
support this proposal
need to have my questions or concerns addressed before I could support this proposal
Create a free website